Thursday, March 8, 2012

Heath and dogs

Via Tumblr
 Kynan Tait via Flikr

Via Tumblr

Heath Kirchart and his Emerica teammates, Jerry Hsu and Leo Romero, rolled into Minneapolis in the summer of 2011. They did an in-store appearance at a long-running skate shop, signed stuff, and grilled hotdogs. The event was meant for groms, old guys who skated in the 90s, and everybody else except an ajumma, but that didn't stop me from planning to attend. I figured I'd meet Heath in person and bring him some Korean candy (not code for anything other than candy).  The snag was who to take with me--certainly not my husband, maybe a girlfriend.  Giving girlfriends short notice to go to an event they don't completely understand equals a no go.  They were sympathetic, though.  I was so excited telling one of them about it, I called Heath "Keith Hirchart."  With complete sincerity, my girlfriend said, "I'm sorry I can't go with you, but the next time Keith comes to town, we'll be sure to go."