Friday, April 29, 2011

Think Bo Duke without the blonde hair, muscle car, or fat uncle Jesse

Ajumma's been reading Born This Way blog by LGBT adults sharing photos and stories on how they felt growing up gay or transgender. The site also celebrates their favorite hobbies, television shows, and first same-sex crushes growing up.  (I notice an unsual number of folks loved John Schneider from Dukes of Hazzard as kids.)  Though not a same-sex crush, I can say my heart belonged to actor River Phoenix thoughout my adolescent years, or at least the character he played in Stand By Me. River's role in Stand By Me kills me to this day; the kid from the wrong side of the tracks, intelligent yet tough, sensitive and vulnerable.

About a half-year after River Phoenix's passing, Esquire featured an article on how those who knew him were dealing with his death from drug use in 1993. Even eighteen years later it's an interesting read on a complex person.