Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Forward my mail to Newport Beach

Good news: A classic beach cottage for sale, 2 blocks from the ocean, could be yours for under a million dollars!
Bad news: It's 594 square feet

I love small, functional spaces. While 594 square feet made even my eyes pop, I'm certain I could happily reside in this 1 bedroom, 1 bath home on Balboa Peninsula in Newport Beach. A little paint and some potted plants would spruce this place up. The 1957 cottage, which faces Newport Bay, features vaulted ceilings, a brick fireplace, gas stove, a den, 1 garage space and an outdoor shower. (Let's assume it includes an indoor shower, as well.) No word on washer-dryer hookups, though they could be installed in the garage. Of course, for the price of $820K, the house damn well better come with gold-plated hook ups.

It hurts my feelings that the listing plays up the cottage's charm, since a builder is likely going to buy the house and tear it down. A multi-level, oversized Tuscan-style monstrosity will pop up in its place, selling for over a million dollars. This kind is happening all across Orange County. View this home's listing on Redfin.