Thursday, April 3, 2008

Hips don't lie

Last summer I took up running. I aimed to run one mile in 10 minutes. I was spurred on by the fact my husband signed me up for his company fun-run, which consisted of a 2 mile course and lots of his coworkers. At that stage in my life I was as sedentary as a rock. I hadn't run more than a mile in 16 years. I started training by only running in the pitch dark of night. I huffed and puffed and complained alot. But I grew to love running for all the crazy reasons runners do.

Earlier this week my hips gave out during a routine 5 mile run. According to my running book, the condition is called Hip Bursitis, aggravated and sometimes caused by sitting in the same position for long periods. I first noticed the pain last month at work where I sit in a chair FOR HOURS. My book goes on to say the only treatment is to stop running until the pain subsides, and that Hip Bursitis cannot be run off.

This feels like a death knell! It's especially disappointing because A. I feel I finally making progress and B. the weather is getting nice, and now I have to see lots of runners enjoying themselves outside. I have to remind myself that I am still a runner, just an injured one. Until I heal, you might not see me posting like I usually do, since it's killing my hips to sit here.